This site was originally inspired by my awesome dogs – Zora and Simon. Piper joined the crew in 2015 and Lila in 2018. I have learned more about myself and life in general through these crazy canines, than years of therapy, a teenage daughter or college and graduate school ever taught me (sorry mom and dad – I’m sure you’re thrilled to hear that last part).
We are thrilled to have you here. We hope there is a little something for everyone.
I’m Alison, the one with the opposable thumbs.
Animals are my passion. Not in a “crazy cat or dog lady” way but enough so that my own rescue dogs (Simon & Piper) have inspired Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube pages and, of course, this website all focused on dog rescue and animal advocacy and, of course, the requisite number of heart-wrenching and adorably funny videos.
April 29, 2003 – August 31, 2017
In June of 2003, Zora officially became the first member of my crew. At 14 and a half, just weeks after making sure that we had arrived in our new home state of Missouri, Zora let us know that she was ready to move on. Her favorite pastimes were long naps, extended belly rubs and indulging her INSANE ball obsession.
We miss her every day.
In February of 2007, Simon joined the crew. He was my first rescue dog and has continued to teach me something new everyday. Simon still has the energy of a group of 5-year olds hopped up on cotton candy and RedBull™!
Piper was my second foster puppy for the amazing group, ColoRADogs. I foster- failed epically and Piper became a permanent member of the family in May of 2015.
Lila came in to the shelter as a stray and was my office foster fro about three minutes before I knew she was coming home to join our crew. We are still getting to know Lila so stay tuned!
Keep in mind the following:
1) While I love all animals and have shared my space with a variety of them over the years, I am a dog person so you can expect mostly dog stuff. If you don’t like that perspective, skip those posts or, leave me a note requesting a post on a particular topic, or work with me. I’d be happy to help you create and market your own blog about whatever animal (or other topic) inspires you most.
2) I am very opinionated and I’m generally pretty open about my opinions. (If you don’t like my opinions see #1)
3) I am not a journalist. While some of the posts and stories on the site may be more newsworthy than others, they will be primarily opinion pieces – remember #2. If there is something you think I should cover (new pet products, services, vets, trainers/training methods, issues etc.) by all means, let me know.
4) I’m a really nice person. I’m honest and direct but I’m respectful and never intend harm, unless explicitly stated which likely means I’m really bent out of shape about something (see September 28, 2014 post on picking up your dog’s poop!). If you disagree with me, email me but be respectful and nice because remember #2 and #3 (opinionated non-journalist).
5) I will admit that like most animal lovers/owners/guardians, I am obsessed with my own pets and am convinced that they are the cutest, funniest, smartest etc. Challenge me on this by sending me pictures and videos of your pets doing cute, funny, mischievous and generally awesome stuff. I’m a sucker for animal videos and even if I don’t feature your pet online you will absolutely brighten my day.
6) This is a pit bull-friendly space. I have done my research, I served on the board of an incredible pit bull advocacy group, and I am the proud owner of my own adorabull (see what I did there?) pit mixes and I am on the executive team of an animal shelter that serves all breeds of dogs, cats and small mammals. I understand that some folks have very strong opinions about pit bulls and while you are free to share those opinions in a respectful manner, at the end of the day this is my blog and I get to make the rules so be nice or you can’t hang at the hydrant.
© Alison Reder and Sarcastic Dog, beginning of time-2017 and beyond. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material and logo, without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner, is strictly prohibited. PDFs (in handouts) may be shared, for non commercial purposes, without further permission. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Alison Reder and Sarcastic Dog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
While we share resources and OPINIONS, we are not certified trainers, veterinarians, vet techs etc. If your dog is having any serious behavioral or medical issues, please contact a professional for an evaluation. You will not hold Sarcastic Dog responsible for any incidents related directly or indirectly to the materials published within this site. Sarcastic Dog assumes no liability or responsibility for your actions